Home » Resources » Minutes » 2006 Minutes » November Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

2006 November Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

Meeting Minutes

2006 November 15

I.   ­­­­­Call to order

     The president, Paul Smith called the Gold River Stream Keepers meeting to order                                           

      at 7:15 p.m. on the 15th of November, 2006 in Aquatic Centre, meeting room No. 1

      

II. Attendees      The following members were present: Paul Smith, Jane Bogie,

      Ken Smith, and Pat Watson.  Dave and Kevin contacted Paul prior to meeting

      indicating that they were unable to attend.

III Acceptance of Agenda          

     It was moved by Jane and seconded Pat to accept the agenda.  Motion was                                                          

     carried without any additions or deletions.

 IV Approval of minutes from last meeting

     Pat moved and Jane seconded the motion to accept the minutes of the previous

     meeting with changes noted as follows: (a) Page 2 – New Business – item a. Hart  lake     

     put to bed. Change this reclamation to This reclamation.  (b) Page 3 - Action items –

     b. Enumeration – add “Pat”.  (c) Page 4 – Open Discussion – item c. Dave’s

     comments. Change viewer volunteers to fewer volunteers.  Motion was so moved.

V. Unfinished business a)      Update on salmon enumeration.

Paul reported on Dunlop Creek.  He counted one Buck and two morts.

Kevin counted 3 (three) above Big Bend and 33 (thirty-three) below Big

Bend.  Jane reported that Randy and her saw a large number of fish in the Hutchinson River.

b)      Update on the October NSWS (Nootka Sound Watershed Society) meeting. (Ken)

                   Items of interest: a) Habitat restoration projects were prioritized and discussed

b) Vacated positions were filled as follows: President – Roger Dunlop, Vice

President – Ken Smith, Secretary – Not filled at this time. 

c)      Update on Stream Keeper’s course certificates.

             Paul has the certificates for the rest of the students and is waiting for them   

                   to come to a meeting so that he can officially congratulate them and hand out

                   the certificates.

d)  Update on “chat night” – Paul

            The chat night site is ready to go.  All the members need to do is register onto     

             the site.

      e)  Update on new GRSK’s website –Paul

                He is continuing to work on the GRSK website and it will be ready before Jan.

     f)   Update on Chinook escapements and hatchery situation – Dave

           Paul received the following information from Dave Davies: a) 40,000          

           Coho fry were released.  b) Escapement for the Burman River 239 IC, Gold   

           River 148 IC, and  Tahsis River 67 IC

   g) Update on changing signing authority – Paul

           The necessary paper work has been completed so that Jane now has signing

           authority.

   h) Update on society annual report.

           Annual society fees are due in the amount of $50 for legal fees and $25 for annual

           registration.

   i)   Road Signs

           The cost of road signs are $60 each, which does not include the cost of the posts

            or the cost of installation.   Dave Davies is working out the total cost per sign.

VI. Correspondence

         All mail was sent by email to those members on the mailing list.

 VII. New Business

          

          a) Revisions to Bylaws

                Changes to the GRSK bylaws need to be updated to reflect the GRSK’s

                present needs.  Pat moved that the Society’s bylaw changes be identified by the

                President, and that these changes be reviewed and approved by the Directors.

                The motion was seconded by Jane and unanimously approved.

          b) NSWS Watershed Enhancement Projects

                Paul mentioned the fact that the GRSK had several studies done relating to

                enhancement projects which NSWS is presently looking at.  This

                information may be helpful to them.  They may photo copy what they need

                and return the originals to GRSK.

          c)  Letter of Thanks to Legion Ladies Auxiliary

               Paul prepared a letter of thanks to the Legion Ladies Auxiliary for their

               donation of $400.00 to GRSK.  Changes were noted and letter approved by    

               members present.

 

VIII. Reports   

        a. Financial Report

                Financial report was read and a motion to approve was made by Pat, second

                by Ken, and motion was approved unanimously.               

IX.   Action Item        a. Ken will let NSWS know that GRSK has data that may be useful to them

            when they are evaluating  potential fish enhancement projects.

       b. Paul will make changes to the bylaws, circulate changes to the directors for their

           approval, and will send bylaw changes and submit appropriate fees to the

           government.

        c. Paul will send out the letter of thanks to the

            Legion Ladies Auxiliary.

                                

 X.     Open Discussion 

             a. Attracting New Members and Getting Present Members Out to the Meetings

  • ·        We should have a designated phone person to remind members of

 the meetings.  We will do this in the new year.

  • ·        Advertise meetings on the local TV channel.  There is no charge

for this service.  This will be done when we reconvene in the new year.

               b. Vests C/W Logo

  • ·        New vests C/W GRSK logo was discussed.  Paul will bring in

his old vest as a sample.

 

     XI.   Next Meeting

             The next meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on the 17th. of January, 2007    

              in the No. l  meeting room at the Aquatic Centre.

 

     XII   Adjournment

             Motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Jane. The meeting was adjourned at  

              8:40 p.m. 

 

IX.   Action Item        a. Ken will let NSWS know that GRSK has data that may be useful to them

            when they are evaluating  potential fish enhancement projects.

       b. Paul will make changes to the bylaws, circulate changes to the directors for their

           approval, and will send bylaw changes and submit appropriate fees to the

           government.

        c. Paul will send out the letter of thanks to the

            Legion Ladies Auxiliary.

                                

 X.     Open Discussion 

             a. Attracting New Members and Getting Present Members Out to the Meetings

·        We should have a designated phone person to remind members of

 the meetings.  We will do this in the new year.

·        Advertise meetings on the local TV channel.  There is no charge

for this service.  This will be done when we reconvene in the new year.

               b. Vests C/W Logo

·        New vests C/W GRSK logo was discussed.  Paul will bring in

his old vest as a sample.

 

     XI.   Next Meeting

             The next meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. on the 17th. of January, 2007    

              in the No. l  meeting room at the Aquatic Centre.

 

     XII   Adjournment

             Motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Jane. The meeting was adjourned at  

              8:40 p.m.

Previous | Minutes | Next