Home » Resources » Minutes » 2005 Minutes » September Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

2005 September Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

DRAFT

GOLD RIVER STREAM KEEPERS SOCIETY MINUTES FOR SEPTEMBER 20/05

IN ATTENDENCE: PAUL SMITH, PATRICK WATSON, JIM MITCHELL, JANE BOGIE AND DUSTIN MCLEAN

Meeting called to order at 7:25 pm. Jim thanked everyone for attending.  Jim asked for everyone to sign the attendance sheet.  Jim asked for additions or changes to the agenda. Paul added the salmon enumeration update. Dustin moved to accept agenda, Jane seconded, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved.  Jim asked everyone to read over the previous minutes.  Motion to accept minutes by Dustin, seconded by Patrick, called to question, all in favour, so moved. 

Jim updated everyone on the clean up at Dunlop Creek Fence site. He and Patrick removed the fence completely with Patrick doing most of the work and cleaning up around the area etc. by himself.  Kudos to Patrick for his dedication!  There was some suggestions on changing the angle of the fence next year and replacing the "Big O" hose as it was shortened during the last heavy flood event. We received a complaint that the screen was too low in the fence when the flood events occurred. Paul disagreed saying that we want the water to exit over the fence quicker to avoid destroying the fence, if we loose some fish counts then so be it.

Some discussion followed on whether the screen should be higher or left as is.  Paul also commented that the hole where we place the box is starting to fill in and will probably be filled in by next year so we might run into a problem placing the box next spring.  Jim talked about the problems getting stage three of Big Bend Creek going.  He stated that Dave Clough is very busy and his time is limited.  Some FIA funding is available and has been applied for by the Gold River Futures Society for the Peppercorn Trail restoration project. 
We will partner with them and the high school on this.  Jim commented that Dave Clough requested that we place bark mulch around the native plants under the hydro lines above the Big Bend Creek culvert to mitigate the drainage issues.  Paul talked about the upcoming "Rivers Day" event and asked for volunteers to help him set up the table and answer questions etc.  Paul may have to work, but will know for sure as the date comes closer. Paul stated that once again Streamline Environmental Consulting and the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nations are cutting willow stakes and planting them in the gravel bars of the Elk River.  Ian Redden (biologist) is looking for volunteers once again to help out.  The dates are September 23 for cutting the stakes and September 29 for planting them. Jim talked about the stewardship education class being expanded this year from grade 8-11.  Jim commented that to date he hasn't received a reply from Jamie James on whether the Mowachaht/Muchalaht will participate.  As for giving a stewardship education class at Tsaxana, that will be put on hold for the same reason.  The first class at the high school will be October 7.  Hopefully Jim will have heard back from Jamie or Roger by then otherwise we'll improvise.  Jim discussed the possibility of giving a Streamkeepers course sometime in October depending on Dave Clough's agenda.

Dustin McLean moved that we spend some of the Pip funding we received from the NSWS to pay for the instructor  to give the course, build two complete Streamkeeper kits and purchase personal gear for the volunteers (vests, waders etc).  Patrick Watson seconded, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved.  Jim stated that he hasn't written the letter of thanks to the Regional District and WCVI AMB because of the issues outstanding with the NSWS.  Paul talked about the upcoming salmon enumeration project and needs volunteers to help collect data especially for Hutchinson Creek as Darrel Glass will be unable to do so this year.  Discussion on contacting the Rod and Gun to see if anyone there wants to do this.  Paul discussed the correspondence from Ian Redden regarding the Elk River Riparian project. He also discussed the email from Jack Minard via Dave Davies regarding the upcoming SEHAB (Salmon Enhancement and Habitat Advisory Board) meeting and their request for our input.  Under new business there was some discussion on what to spend our Pip funding on and the deadline for handing in all receipts to the NSWS.  Lots of discussion on possible membership drive ideas and how to implement them. We need to get more members as our current members are unable to commit like they used to because of work obligations (a good thing!) and we have a lot of good projects that need to be completed or started.  Jim also talked more about the Peppercorn Trail restoration project and that the G.R. Futures Society will be taking the lead.  We will partner along with high school students and possibly the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation.  This is a great project and as everyone knows the trail is the main stay for the River's Day event every year with the BBQ and exhibition tables being set up at the Peppercorn Park at the end of the trail after the garbage cleanup/walk through the trail.  Paul asked everyone to look over the financial report.  Jane moved to accept the financial report, Dustin seconded, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved. 

Action Items: 
1.  Paul will look into applying to the PSF for funding regarding Big Bend Creek. 
2. Jim will contact Dave Clough regarding types of bark mulch/material to be used around native plants under hydro line. 
3. Paul will contact DFO for more SIL's and put together a package for salmon enumeration. 
4. Paul will find out date for SEHAB meeting and send Jim a reminder for input.
5. Paul will bring data sheet with Dunlop Creek Indicator fence info to next meeting.

Under open discussion there was lots of talk about the Coho production being reinstated at the Conuma Hatchery again this year thanks to the work of the NSWS members. Also discussion on watershed enhancement and restoration projects for the future in our area.  Dustin moved to adjourn at 8:35 pm.  Next meeting is October 18/2005 at 7:00 pm at Jim Mitchell's place of residence.

Previous | Minutes | Next