Home » Resources » Minutes » 2005 Minutes » October Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

2005 October Minutes For The Gold River Streamkeepers Society

DRAFT

GOLD RIVER STREAM KEEPERS SOCIETY MINUTES FOR OCTOBER 18, /05

IN ATTENDENCE: PAUL SMITH, PATRICK WATSON, JANE BOGIE, AND JIM MITCHELL

Meeting called to order at 7:11 pm. Jim thanked everyone for attending.  Jim asked for everyone to sign the attendance sheet.  Jim asked for additions or changes to the agenda. Paul had an update under unfinished business on the website status.  Patrick moved to accept agenda, Jane seconded, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved.  Jim asked everyone to read over the previous minutes.  Motion to accept minutes by Jane, seconded by Patrick, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved.

Paul updated everyone on the Pacific Salmon Foundation funding and that we were unable to get all our ducks in a row so we'll have to apply at the next round in February. Jim updated everyone on the types of bark mulch that Dave Clough stated we could use to fill around the native plants under the hydro lines on Big Bend Creek planted during stage one.  Dave says to stay away from cedar and fir due to the slow decaying time and leach ate issues.  Everything else is basically okay i.e.: leaves, grass, etc.

Jim talked about sending in our request last week to the Comox Strathcona Regional District for a grant in aid similar to last year.  Paul discussed the salmon enumeration plans for this season and handed out a field book/thermometer to Jane and Patrick for Dunlop Creek. Once again Kent from the Lodge at Gold River will volunteer to collect data on Delorial Creek (Siwash). Darrel Glass is unable to enumerate on Hutchinson Creek so we will have to find someone to replace him. Darrel has done a great job over the last few years.  Jim talked about the upcoming Streamkeepers course being instructed by Dave Clough. The dates are October 28-29 at the Aquatic Centre meeting room number two.  We were going to hold it at the high school, however the teachers strike left uncertainty whether we could be there or not.  Jim stated that he sent off a letter of input on enhancement, lack/difficulty of applying for funding, and comments on the lack of funding for enforcement and stewardship to the Salmon Enhancement and Habitat Advisory Board (SEHAB).  Paul commented that he went to Dunlop Creek and the water was pretty high so he moved the smolt box to higher ground and drove one of the pieces of rebar into the ground to secure it. He didn't see any salmon spawning.  Paul updated everyone on the new additions to the website. There is a message board, chat room, and photo gallery online now for all members and the public to use.  Paul encourages everyone, especially the directors to register for the message board and chat room as this will be where we brainstorm/debate ideas and issues in the future.  The photo gallery is pretty cool also.  You can register there and create your own photo album for all to see.

Paul talked about the sheet on the Dunlop Creek Coho Indicator Fence data and that everything has been sent to Steve Baillie.  Patrick flagged some missing weeks in the data spreadsheet.  Paul stated that he would start sending out checks for mileage reimbursements soon.  There was an email from Streamline Environmental Consulting (Ian Redden) letting us know that they will be on the Elk River soon monitoring the work completed and assessing what still needs to be done. Any members or students who wish to participate are welcome and should contact Paul. Jim commented that with the teachers strike it might be difficult to get students interested.  Jim updated everyone on the email from DFO requesting a letter to be sent to Muchalat Industries thanking them for their generous donation of $850.  There was some controversy over who donated the money to us as the original check was from DFO. The Conuma Hatchery purchased some equipment from Muchalat Industries for $850 and the money was to be donated to the Gold River Streamkeepers Society.  Paul typed up a letter of thanks and Jim signed on our behalf and we forward to Muchalat Industries and DFO.  Under new business Paul talked about his misinterpretation of the society act last year, which lead to our AGM being held in 2005 instead of 2004. This caused us to be in contravention of the act for 2004 and Paul had to send a statement acknowledging so. Once we hold our AGM in 2005 we will be in the good books again.  This in no way tarnishes our record and Victoria ensured Paul that once we send in our annual report for 2005 everything will be normal again. Jim stated that we should be holding our AGM's earlier in the year then to avoid a repeat of this. Paul agreed.  Jim reminded everyone that our AGM would be at the next months meeting in November for 2005.  Paul asked everyone to look over the financial report.  Paul commented that we have to spend the funding from NSWS by next February so they can file their report. Jim talked about going to Ono's to purchase supplies on November 4.  Jane moved to accept the financial report, Patrick seconded, called to question, all in favour, none opposed, so moved. 

Action Items: 
1.  Jim will try and contact Ken Frost to see if he is interested in enumerating salmon on Hutchinson Creek.  2. Paul will try and track down missing weeks in Dunlop Creek Coho Indicator F
ence data and confirm that DFO received everything. 
3. Paul will send email to Ian Redden explaining our situation with the teachers strike and full agenda and that we will try to attend the monitoring assessment on the Elk River is possible.
4. Jim will coordinate the trip to Ono's to purchase equipment and supplies. 

Next meeting is our Annual General Meeting on November 16/2005 at 7:00 pm at Jim Mitchell's place of residence.

Previous | Minutes | Next